We have a free self-paced course that covers the basics to get started with vCenter Operations Manager in approx. 2,5 hours. This training has now been upgraded to cover v5.6. From the objectives:
• Technical Overview of vCenter Operations Manager covers the vCenter Operations Manager 5.0 vApp architecture and resource requirements, the vCenter Operations Manager 5.0 vApp installation considerations, and introduces you to the major and minor badges.
• Installing and Configuring vCenter Operations Manager discusses how to install and configure vCenter Operations Manager.
• Using the Dashboards and Badges explains the main function of the major and minor badges, how to interpret the badge results, and how to configure thresholds and notifications.
• Operations and Planning describes how to use the Operations tab and the Planning tab.
• Working with Smart Alerts and Reports covers how to configure and use smart alerts, how heat maps are used, and how to work with reports.
• Integration discusses how the other products contained in the suite integrate with vCenter Operations Manager.
You can register and take the course here.