Last summer we bought a company called DynamicOps and since then the team has done a great job of integrating their what I call “Manager of Managers” in the VMware cloud offering. vCloud Automation Center (vCAC) is now an essential part of the story, our multi-hypervisor, multi-platform (even hardware !) provisionning tool ! In December a new version 5.1 was launched with new look-and-feel and some much needed connectors for vCO, vCD and so on.
Now there is a new website by the team that contains some great documentation and info, if you follow there tweets you can even install the product in a few easy steps ! As always to get more info or download a free trial visit the VMware site.
We had an online tool at VMware called Sliderocket. Yes, I know, it was a well kept secret, but I made some presentations with it. It was handy because you could just call an url to present and send it around to customers. Notably I kept a presentation on vCenter Operations Manager basics and resources here.
I guess my blog will become my central point of information to send around. Certainly I will put all enterprise management resources here.
The announcement is here. Good luck guys and sorry to see you leave the VMware family !
Today the new vCloud Management Suite components we announced at VMWorld 2012 are general available:
- vCenter Operations Manager v5.6 (vC Ops)
- Hyperic v5.0 integration for apps management
- vCM 5.6 for compliance, config management and patching.
vC Ops v5.6 introduces some great new features:
- User-defined groups: these can be static or dynamic (f.e. all objects of type VM and power state = ‘on’) and can be nested. All config settings are now policies you can install per group, so different groups can have different badges, capacity calculation,…
- The weather map is clickable !
- Some screens and dashboards have been improved, see the demo below.
- We integrate with Hyperic 5.0 now for more detailed OS and apps performance data inside the VMs. This data can be integrated in vC Ops.
- vCM 5.6 integrates even more tightly with the vC Ops 5.6 dashboards, we already featured timeline integration of change events, but now you can also look at a compliance dashboard and score within vC Ops.
The vCloud Suite advanced and enterprise include vC Ops, Hyperic and vCM. In the advanced version you get the Hyperic agents for the OS (Windows, linux) and in the enterprise version you get agents for apps like the Microsoft stack (SQL Server, Exchange,…) and database systems such as Oracle, Postgres,… A complete list of agents is here, but note that not all of them are included by default. Consult your VMware sales contact.
The official web page with all details and trial download is on the VMware website.