… with my favourite tools.. vRealize Operations, vRealize Orchestrator and just installed the vRO plugin for vRops to link them. Expect some blog posts or talks coming! #vExpert
A while ago I recorded this video of how I show a demo of the Blue Medora management pack for VMware vRealize Operations. I think it can still benefit people to have a look at it.
In the recording I show the 3 most important features of Blue Medora management packs:
- no agents to install, rapid deployment on vROps.
- automatic import of data and, most important of all, automatic relations between objects. Even over management packs.
- some custom dashboards installed.
I also show a full stack troubleshooting dashboard including NetApp storage, Cisco switches and UCS blades (a.k.a FlexPod) and a MS SQL database.
Hope it is useful to you and let me know what you think.
This post is more of a marker than anything else. My contract with Blue Medora has been terminated January 2nd. I will be free to pursue other opportunities at the end of the month.
I will of course continue to write about VMware vRealize Operations and other monitoring and cloud provisioning tools. I might even write about the excellent Blue Medora plugins, but not working for them anymore.
And if you now of any opportunities….
Our second-to-none engineers have launched a utility today that has been developed internally to help with VMware vRealize Operations management: the vROps CLI tool! It is now publicly available for free on Github for linux, Mac and Windows on our public repository.
As you can guess this utility allows you to interact from the command line with your vROps instance: install adapters, list alerts,… And of course this opens the door to some nifty scripts to automate tasks in your environment… like installing those great new Blue Medora management packs:
vropscli uploadPak OracleDatabase-6.3_1.2.0_b20180319.144115.pak
The usage.md file has some instructions and there is an examples directory with scripts.
Expect more info here and on our company blog, or stop by our booth at VMworld EMEA to have a chat!
A nice surprise at breakfast in my mailbox. I have been accepted for the VMware vExpert programme! I have been recognised as blogger and public speaker. Link to my public profile is here.
It is very motivating and I look forward to new ways of putting in some good work for VMware cloud products!
One of the management packs for VMware vRealize Operations that has evolved the most over the past two years is the Pivotal Cloud Foundry solution. From connecting through our own open -source nozzle to using the BOSH API, Blue Medora now enables you to monitor all aspects of your PCF deployment, including apps. Today we publish yet another set of enhancements. This is one of the most comprehensive solutions on the market to monitor PCF and how it runs on your VMware environment.
Features in this Release Include:
- Added BOSH Job resource kind, which serves as a catch-all resource for any BOSH job (including BOSH metrics) not covered by other previously-defined resource kinds (See: Resource Kinds and Relationships)
- Improved alerts and recommendations to align with PCF Key Performance Indicators best practice documentation (See: Alerts)
- Added one new Advanced Configuration setting: Collect Events (See: Creating an Adapter Instance)
- Updated Blue Medora Nozzle Tile to include timeseries for historical data to enable improved alerts (NOTE: Be sure to upgrade the management pack prior to upgrading to the new nozzle version. See: Upgrading the Management Pack.)
Blue Medora website product page: https://bluemedora.com/integration/pivotal-cloud-foundry/vmware-vrealize-true-visibility/
HTML Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/PCF/Default.htm
Official Build Number: 220.127.116.1180625.192805
As always contact email@example.com for more info.
Blue Medora has concluded the project to update the vROps Management Pack for HPE Servers.
Updates in this Release Include:
• Added support for iLO 5
• Added least-privileged user (LPU) details for OA, VCM, and iLO users
• Added Prerequisite Configurations for ESXi Hosts topic (required to collect external Host > Server relationship and certain metrics)
• Incorporated 2.0.5 patch release, which added support for HP Blade/VMware Host System relationships based on hostname
• Incorporated 2.0.4 patch release, which fixed an issue where a missing keys exception was taking down collection
HTML Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/HPE-Servers/Default.htm
Official Build Number: 18.104.22.16880606.165223
As always if you are interested in this pack, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, more info is on the product page here.
Good news if you saw the announcement of VMware vRealize Operations v6.7 yesterday. We worked hard with VMware so that all our management packs are ready for use with this new version! The capacity planning engine has been overhauled a lot, so we wrote a KB article to explain the differences.
Blue Medora product management have published a partial list of latest versions to use. These also include other updates. The list is not complete yet, but more will follow. For a documentation and data sheets see the product matrix and contact sales there for a demo and trial or email email@example.com.
- Apache Hadoop (22.214.171.12480322.151724)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_apache_hadoop
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/Apache-Hadoop/Default.htm
- Cisco UCS (126.96.36.19980405.024250)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_cisco_ucs
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/Cisco-UCS/Default.htm
- Cohesity (188.8.131.5280316.141936)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_cohesity
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/Cohesity/Default.htm
- Dell PowerEdge (184.108.40.20680404.144806)
- KVM (220.127.116.1180315.202846)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_kvm
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/KVM/Default.htm
- Lenovo Compute (18.104.22.16880404.154614)
- MEDITECH (22.214.171.12480312.164522)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_meditech
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/MEDITECH/Default.htm
- Microsoft Azure (126.96.36.19980326.154253)
- Microsoft SCOM (188.8.131.5280316.174713)
- MongoDB (184.108.40.20680316.142042)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_mongodb
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/MongoDB/Default.htm
- MySQL (220.127.116.1180316.205435)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_mysql
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/MySQL/Default.htm
- NetApp E-Series (18.104.22.16880320.142233)
- Nutanix (22.214.171.12480330.192826)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_nutanix
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/Nutanix/Default.htm
- Oracle Database (126.96.36.19980319.144115)
- Oracle Enterprise Manager (188.8.131.5280319.192845)
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry (184.108.40.20680316.195000)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_pivotal_cloud_foundry
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/PCF/Default.htm
- SAP (220.127.116.1180321.155955)
- Product Download:https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_sap
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/SAP/Default.htm
- SAP HANA (18.104.22.16880319.134350)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_sap_hana
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/SAP-HANA/Default.htm
- SolarWinds (22.214.171.12480316.145743)
- Product Download: https://bluemedora.com/downloads/vrops_mp_for_solarwinds
- Documentation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.bluemedora.com/vROps/SolarWinds/Default.htm
- Xen Hypervisor (126.96.36.19980315.203013)
Blue Medora has released another vrO plugin to help you manage your infrastructure!
- A comprehensive Create Datastore workflow that does all the heavy-lifting of provisioning HPE 3PAR StoreServ storage for vCenter
- 9 additional out-of-the-box workflows for common 3PAR StoreServ administrative tasks, including:
- Create/Delete Host
- Create/Delete Volume
- Create/Delete LUN
- Exposed WSAPI methods for creating your own custom workflows
- The ability to import and manage your entire HPE 3PAR StoreServ environment in vRO
The MySQL management pack for VMware vRealize Operations Manager is one of the most populair ones at Blue Medora. It gives you monitoring of your MySQL 5.6.x and 5.7.x databases -including queries – and capaciteit planning, right Inside vROps. The latest release of vRealize Operations MP for MySQL is now generally available.
As with all Blue Medora management packs, the dashboard above shows you that we detect all relations from the database to the VM and beyond. Notable Features in this Release Include:
• Implemented overall performance improvements and query optimization
• Removed MySQL on OS, MySQL IOPS, MySQL on VM, and MySQL Top-N Queries Dashboards
• Added MySQL Usage, MySQL Query Analysis, and MySQL on VMware Dashboards
• Removed Memory Capacity for MySQL instances
• Added new Views and Reports
As with all new releases it includes the great new HTML Documentation.
Important! With this product we have implemented the new versioning scheme, which removes the “6.x” signifier tied to the minimum supported vROps version. The official build number for this release that will be listed in our documentation is 188.8.131.5270719.200055
• Version number:
◦ “2” is the major version.
◦ “0” is the minor version.
◦ “0” is the patch version.
• Build number:
◦ “20170719” is the build date (YYYYMMDD).
◦ “200055” is the build time (hhmmss).